Introduce yourself to international law and make your law school application stand out from the rest! The Legal Studies Semester/Quarter Program at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) starts at the very beginning, and compares various international legal systems for some truly fascinating material. Take a look at the big picture with introductory pre-law courses that emphasize the international perspective. You can even earn a specialized “Certificate of Completion” – just one more way to make your application shine! Please note this program is offered during the Spring Semester/Quarter ONLY.
Established in 1990, the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) is one of Barcelona’s newest institutions has already earned an International Excellence Campus label from the Spanish Ministry of Education. The campus is full of remodeled historic buildings and sits in the heart of Barcelona just two blocks from the beach. Imagine unwinding between classes while listening to the waves of the Mediterranean Sea.
- Minimum G.P.A. Requirement: 3.3
- Class Requirement: Junior-Senior Standing
- Language Requirement: Although helpful, no previous Spanish language knowledge is required.
The Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) and Barcelona SAE have worked hard to create a study abroad program that allows you to earn credits in your major, minor, or electives. The courses are especially designed for international students, meaning that you will be able to take courses in English and/or have the advantage of learning in Spanish at a pace for non-native or fluent speakers.
The Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) is recognized by the Spanish Ministry of Education as a degree granting institution of higher learning. After completing a Barcelona SAE program at the UPF, the transcript will be sent directly to the student’s home institution.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit a “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate on a Barcelona SAE program. With that said, we suggest that students are as transparent as possible about their plans and make an appointment with their study abroad office immediately after submitting their Barcelona SAE application.
The earlier that students plan for their study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get all of their courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be received at their home institution. Please remember that it is best to get multiple first and second choice courses pre-approved for your Barcelona SAE program, as this will give you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Don’t just think about the courses that are required for your major or minor, but also courses that can fulfill your general education or elective requirements.
Your courses will be taught in English or Spanish and will primarily be lectures with some teamwork involved. Students will be in class at the UPF with other international students.
During our Legal Studies program, you will take a total of 4-5 classes, 3 of which must be specifically law focused…but the combination and additional focus is completely up to you! Courses are broken into Core Courses and Law Electives, and you must take one from each category.
There are several law specific courses so you may choose to take entirely legal based courses if you prefer, but there are course options offered from UPF’s Hispanic and European Studies Program as well. This gives you the option to take a more culturally specific course, pursue a personal interest, or earn general or major specific credit – all while earning your Certificate of Completion while focusing on pre-law. The program culminates with a final research paper, which can also be useful in future applications or resumes.
For a complete list of courses and syllabi for this program, please visit the Barcelona SAE website.
- Please note that not all courses listed above will be offered every semester/quarter, and the list above are courses and/or subject areas that have been offered in the past by the host institution. Institutions in Barcelona often do not finalize course listings until the beginning of the term, and as such, this list will be updated as the host institution provides additional information.
- For a complete listing of courses that will occur during your specific semester/quarter abroad at the UPF, please contact your Barcelona SAE Advisor.
The Legal Studies Semester/Quarter Program at the UPF Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
- Group Webinar and Pre-Departure Preparation
- Personalized Advising
- One Year Digital Subscription to the New York Times
- UPF Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcript from Universitat Pompeu Fabra
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance through CISI
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- Full-Time, Native English Speaking Staff of Barcelona Experts
- Independent Travel Advice
- A Weekend Excursion Outside of Barcelona (Madrid, Zaragoza, Seville, Granada, Basque Country, etc.)
- Multiple Day Trips Outside of Barcelona (Tarragona, Girona, Montserrat, Figures, Besalú, etc.)
- The “Barcelona Bucket List” (Suggestions of 100 Different Things to Experience in Barcelona!)
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Salsa Lessons, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Intercambios (Language Exchanges with Local Students)
- Mentor Program & Cultural Dinner
- Welcome Lunch
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
For Continued Success After the Program:
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply for Barcelona SAE’s “Best of the Best” Internship Program
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Campus Ambassador Intern” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to/from Barcelona
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
So…what are you waiting for? APPLY TODAY and get ready to embark on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime!
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Spring||2019||10/15/2018 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.