The Fashion & Graphic Design Summer Program at the Instituto Europeo de Diseño (IED) is one of the most well known design schools in Europe. Put your creative skills to the test and choose from a variety of design courses in English or Spanish that count towards your major, minor, or general education requirements.
Barcelona summers are full of art festivals, fashion shows, and workshops, and Barcelona SAE will make sure that you are aware of all the happenings so that you can take advantage of what this great city has to offer. Expose yourself to the culture with all five senses, while allowing the beauty and sounds of this cosmopolitan city to fill you with inspiration.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY
Established in 2002, the Instituto Europeo de Diseño (IED) is one of the most well known design schools in Europe. The beautiful IED Barcelona Campus is located in the charismatic and popular Grácia neighborhood, a vibrant area full of artists and creativity.
The school itself boasts over 50,000 square feet of fashion and design work areas, video and communication studios, and countless classrooms for the Spanish and international students studying here. The IED is known for their educational programs in Graphic Design, Fashion, Visual Communication and Management for Creative Industries.
- Minimum G.P.A. Requirement: 2.5
- Class Requirement: Freshman-Senior Standing
- Language Requirement: Although helpful, no previous Spanish language knowledge is required.
The Instituto Europeo de Diseño (IED) and Barcelona SAE have worked hard to create a study abroad program that allows you to earn credits in your major, minor, or electives. The courses are especially designed for international students, meaning that you will be able to take courses in English and/or have the advantage of learning in Spanish at a pace for non-native or fluent speakers.
The Instituto Europeo de Diseño (IED) is recognized by the Spanish Ministry of Education as a degree granting institution of higher learning. After completing a Barcelona SAE program at the IED, the transcript will be sent directly to the student’s home institution.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit a “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate on a Barcelona SAE program. With that said, we suggest that students are as transparent as possible about their plans and make an appointment with their study abroad office immediately after submitting their Barcelona SAE application.
The earlier that students plan for their study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get all of their courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be received at their home institution. Please remember that it is best to get multiple first and second choice courses pre-approved for your Barcelona SAE program, as this will give you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Don’t just think about the courses that are required for your major or minor, but also courses that can fulfill your general education or elective requirements.
For the Barcelona SAE Fashion & Design Summer Program at the Instituto Europeo de Diseño (IED), students can choose from the following courses:
Courses in English:
Courses in Spanish:
- Creative Illustration: Idea, Concept and Image
- Design Thinking and Co-Creation
- Fashion Styling
- Fashion Techniques: Advanced Pattern Making, Knitting, Embroidery, and Dying
- Fashion Trends Investigation from Coolhunting to Forecasting
- Asesoría de Imagen y Personal Shopper
- Dirección de Arte y Publicidad
- Diseño de Interiores
- Diseño de Joyas
- Global Design
- Marketing de la Moda
- Moda y Visual Merchandising
- Please note that not all courses listed above will be offered every summer, and the list above are courses and/or subject areas that have been offered in the past by the host institution. Institutions in Barcelona often do not finalize course listings until the beginning of the term, and as such, this list will be updated as the host institution provides additional information.
- For a complete listing of courses that will occur during your specific summer abroad at the IED, please contact your Barcelona SAE Advisor.
The IED Fashion & Design Summer Program Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
While in Barcelona:
- One Year Digital Subscription to the New York Times
- Group Webinar and Pre-Departure Preparation
- Personalized Advising
Cultural & Social Activities:
- IED Tuition and Fees
- Official Instituto Europeo de Diseño (IED) Transcript
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- English-Speaking Staff
For Continued Success After the Program:
- The Barcelona SAE Bucket List
- An Overnight Excursion Outside of Barcelona (Costa Brava, Tarragona, etc.)
- Multiple Day Trips Outside of Barcelona (Besalú, Figueres, Montserrat, Girona, etc.)
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Dance Lessons, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Cultural Mentor Program
- Welcome Activity
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
…and SO MUCH MORE!
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply for Barcelona SAE’s “Best of the Best” Internship Program
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Campus Ambassador Intern” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to/from Barcelona
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
So…what are you waiting for? APPLY TODAY and get ready to embark on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime!