Global engagement can be described as motivated and sustained immersion in situations, practices, or processes that bring the student to a greater understanding and awareness of global issues. The goal of the Global Engagement Certificate is to recognize the work and commitment of USA students during their studies at the University that has prepared them to be actively engaged global citizens and effectively navigate the global workplace. The program is open to all degree-seeking undergraduate students at the University of South Alabama. Application to the program, admission, and advising are required.
Program requirements include seventeen hours of coursework and nine hours of globally engaged activity. All students take IS 210: Global Engagement Orientation (1 credit hour) and IS 410: Global Engagement Capstone (1 credit hour). Of the remaining fifteen hours, six hours can be general education requirements at the 100-/200-level and three hours are in a foreign language; at least 50% of course content must focus outside of the USA. Students will complete nine hours of globally engaged activity, such as study abroad, service learning, and internships. Contact the coordinator for a list of approved courses and activities.
Students who obtain the Global Engagement Certificate will be able to:
For additional information contact:
- compare and contrast cultural differences among world populations;
- identify essential cultural/traditional practices of global populations and ethnic groups;
- differentiate between major religions of the world and their major tenets;
- forecast social change as a result of political systems, economies, and religions;
- predict the consequences of global business over the next decade(s);
- assess the global impact of international finance practices;
- analyze the effect of geography on the development of nations;
- explain the effects of political systems on populations;
- identify reasons for ethnic conflict;
- collaborate effectively with people from other cultures;
- demonstrate effective communication skills.